Applying for Graduation

How to Apply for Graduation

It is recommend that students begin the process of applying for graduation a minimum of two quarters before their anticipated graduation date. This will allow the student to successfully meet the priority application deadline and will also allow enough time to make any necessary modifications due to unforeseen circumstances, overlooked requirements and/or scheduling conflicts.

Review Degree Application Requirements             

Visit the Registrar’s web page and review the degree application requirements, application deadlines, and to access the degree application forms. You will need to generate a Look Ahead report in consultation with your biology faculty advisor as the first step in obtaining a major evaluation approval note, which is a required piece of the Degree Application process.

Review Degree Works Worksheet

Identify any remaining degree requirements for your major by reviewing your Degree Works Worksheet. In consultation with your faculty advisor, create a course plan to satisfy remaining course requirements for your chosen biology emphasis. Use the “Look Ahead” feature in Degree Works to verify how the courses you selected will apply to your major requirements. The “What If” tool in Degree Works may also be helpful if you are considering changing your Biology emphasis before graduation.

Complete Look Ahead Report

Finalize your Look Ahead report by adding the remainder of your planned courses (omitting ones that you are currently registered for or have completed) and submit it to your faculty advisor for approval. They will indicate their approval on the signature line just below the major block on the Look Ahead report. If you are requesting a course substitution or waiver for coursework listed on your Degree Works Worksheet, you must get Department Chair approval. Please refer to the Course Substitution of Waiver section below.

You will then need to email the approved Look Ahead to so that an approval note may be entered in Degree Works. This note satisfies the "major evaluation" requirement of the Degree Application.

Submit Completed Degree Application

After your approval note has been entered by the Department in Degree Works, you may submit your completed Degree Application form(s) to the  Registrar’s Office. The folks in the Registrar's Office will be looking for the approval note when reviewing your application.

Degree Works

Degree Works is an academic planning and degree evaluation tool that reflects your academic progress towards the completion of your program of study at Western. Degree Works is designed to help you track degree progress and know which courses to take to plan your path to graduation. Instructions for students about how to access Degree Works and use the Look Ahead feature.

Course Substitution/Exception or Waiver

Any exceptions, substitutions or waivers of major requirements must be approved by your faculty advisor and the Biology Department Chair via the Degree Works Exception Approval web form.  When approved, the exception will be entered as a note in Degree Works and will be visible on your worksheet and Look Ahead report.