Educational & Professional Experience
EDUCATIONWestern Washington University 2015-present Master of Science, Marine and Estuarine Biology (in progress) Thesis: The Effect of Diet on Survival, Growth, and Radula Morphology of Haliotis kamtschatkana Postlarvae. Reed College 2005-2009 Bachelor of Arts, Biology Thesis: Glucosinolates and Selenium Might Interact in the Face of Adversity to Form an Anti-Herbivore Coalition. Languages: Spanish, Ancient Greek. Computer programs: Word, Excel, LaTeX, JMP, ImageJ, Statview, R. Washington State University 2005-2006 Research Project: Russian Thistle Epicuticular Leaf Wax Density and Composition in Response to Water Stress. Courses: Weed Science, Soil Science, Irrigation Systems and Water Mgmt., Forage Crops, Metal Fabrication. Stone Soup Institute 2013 Winter Term: Horse-Drawn Logging; Forestry, silviculture, and forest ecology of Maine.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCETeaching Assistant Western Washington Univ., Bellingham, WA 2015-2016
- Instructed Biology 101 lab for non-science majors; three sections of 20 to 24 students.
- Implemented and revised curriculum, created weekly quizzes, graded assignments, led field trip.
- Scheduled and prioritized repairs, submitted warranty claims, analyzed performance data.
- Educated customers on bicycle function and repair, while hearing customer needs and concerns.
- Performed tune-ups and repairs on a variety of commuter, road, and mountain bicycles.
- Supervised packing of forestry seedlings for sale. Communicated in English and Spanish.
- Worked in seed orchard: induced cone development by girdling, installed irrigation.
- Directed Small Business Innovation Research grant, in partnership with Rutgers University.
- Induced polyploidy and reared eastern flat oysters. Collected and analyzed data, wrote reports.
- Performed selective breeding to increase resistance to MSX, Dermo, and Juvenile Oyster Disease.
- Supervised interns, coordinated labor and project scheduling, kept grant expense records.
- Spawned (strip and natural) and reared Pacific and Olympia oysters, geoducks, and manila clams.
- Conducted pair matings, inbreeding, F1/F2 hybrids, and genetically diverse restoration spawns.
- Assisted with experimental design, collected and analyzed data, fabricated novel equipment.
- Comprehensively reorganized broodstock repository and improved general lab record keeping.
- Trained personnel, coordinated scheduling, expense records. Worked in the field and night tides.